With Halloween approaching, it’s important to remember to always keep candy away from your pets. Many ingredients found in candy can be toxic to animals. The artificial sweetener xylitol is a common toxin found in candy that can interfere with your pet’s metabolism with devastating consequences. Chocolate contains caffeine and a component called Theobromine, which is very toxic to pets, especially dogs. Additionally, consuming chocolate or sugar can trigger diabetes and ruin your pet’s teeth.
However, your pet doesn’t have to miss out on all the fun! You can still have your pup participate in the Halloween festivities by making some pumpkin dog treats. Your dog can do a “trick” for a special “treat.” Here’s an easy DIY Puppy Pumpkin Roll recipe for your dog. It makes around 25-30 treats so you can pass them out to every dog on the block. You can also freeze the treats for future use.
What you will need:
1 cup fresh pumpkin
1 ½ cups rice flour
1 tbs cinnamon
½ tbs freshly ground ginger
1 cup honey
1 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
- Peel and dice pumpkin into cubes and bring to boil in saucepan of water. Drain pumpkin and let it cool down. Puree in blender and let it chill in refrigerator.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and ginger in bowl and mix.
- Combine egg, honey and vegetable oil in large bowl and whisk.
- Add the chilled pumpkin puree to the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, whisking well until all ingredients are combined.
- Spoon the batter onto the lined tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
This recipe originally appeared on www.prettyfluffy.com. — Dana Langshaw